CSBA’s Delegate Assembly is a vital link in the association’s governance structure. Working with local districts, county offices, the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Delegates ensure that the association reflects the interests of school districts and county offices of education throughout the state. There are two required Delegate Assembly meetings each year. In 2018, the first meeting was held on May 19-20 in Sacramento and the next will be held on November 28-29 in San Francisco, preceding CSBA’s Annual Education Conference and Trade show.
The next 2018 Delegate Assembly meeting will be held at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on Wednesday, Nov. 28 and reconvenes on Thursday, Nov. 29. CSBA does not book hotel reservations nor cover the expenses for Delegates to attend these meetings or conference. Click here to see preliminary and approximate meeting schedule.
Registration for meeting and luncheon
There is no registration fee for the Delegate Assembly meeting. The Delegate Assembly luncheon is open to Delegates only and will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 28. This is a ticketed meal function ($95). We request you register for the meeting and luncheon here.
Reservation for housing
Please refer to the housing bureau website for hotel reservations. The CSBA Delegate housing block at the headquarter hotel, the San Francisco Marriott Marquis, is now closed. Please note, after 3 p.m. on Friday, June 22, any remaining rooms in the Delegate block will be released and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis through Thursday, Nov. 8. The rate at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis is $302 per night, plus applicable taxes and fees.
If you have any questions about the online registration process, please direct all registration inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 424-5249 between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. (PDT).
If you have questions about your member number/Delegate ID, please email the CSBA Registrar.
Roles and responsibilities
The Delegate Assembly provides policy direction for the association, elects officers and directors, and ensures that the association reflects the interests of school districts and county offices of education. The Delegate Assembly consists of:
- More than 280 elected board members from CSBA's 21 geographic regions
- 34 members of the Board of Directors
- Past presidents of CSBA serving on local school boards
- The immediate past president of the California County Boards of Education
As described in Article III, Section 1, of CSBA's Bylaws, the Delegate Assembly has the following powers and duties:
- Adopt the policy platform every two years. The policy platform provides a broad framework for implementing the association’s vision, mission and strategic directions, and as such guides the association’s policy and political leadership activities
- Adopt policies and positions as needed to supplement the policy platform
- Provide testimony or input on critical issues during special hearings at Delegate Assembly meetings
- Elect the association’s officers and Board of Directors
- Serve on standing committees, councils, task forces, and focus groups
- Adopt the corporate bylaws
- Provide two-way communication with local board members
- Provide advocacy on behalf of children, public education, school boards and the Association
- Support and participate in the association’s activities and events.
Election to office
Delegates are elected by CSBA member boards in the region the delegate is elected to represent and serve a two-year term. Nominees for a delegate seat must be a school board member of a CSBA member board within that geographic region.
Official results from CSBA’s 2018 Delegate Assembly election are available here.