CSBA's Education Legal Alliance has developed a Superintendent Contract template for use by our members. This annotated Superintendent Contract template is intended to be a starting point for school boards in developing a contract to present to their new superintendent and, as necessary, negotiating with the superintendent over details of the contract. Accordingly, the template should be revised to best reflect local needs and expectations. Annotations in the template provide context, explanations, commentaries, and suggestions, as they are intended to aid board member understanding of contract development and negotiation. This template is also consistent with recommended statements and practices in CSBA’s sample board policy BP 2121 - Superintendent Contract.
- Share it with the:
- New superintendent
- Existing superintendent negotiating a new contract
- District’s legal counsel and recruiter
- Use it to:
- Compare with existing contract
- Stimulate Board discussion about what terms it would like to include in the next contract
- Superintendent Contract Template - Key Terms
- 12-month work year with vacation
- District business on district devices only
- CSBA professional development activities
- Annual evaluation schedule
- No contract renewal or extension
- Meeting with Board prior to termination for cause
- 4-Month max “buy-out” for no-cause termination
A copy of this contract template is available to any board member and the board president.
The information contained in this annotated template is not a substitute for and does not replace the advice or representation of district counsel.